2017 is a big year for Elmore Public Relations—we’re celebrating our 25th anniversary! For the past 25 years, our agency has been working with numerous clients to help them achieve their goals, or as we say – connecting strategy, expertise and results. Each week we’re highlighting a year of Elmore PR.
Welcome back! As you may have heard, we have spent the last few months looking back on our agency’s rich history through our 25th anniversary blog series. Last week, we spent some time reflecting on our work with some of our past hospitality clients, including Red Roof Inn, Motel 6 and Sofitel Hotels. This week, we’re sharing our philosophy behind milestone-driven media relations strategies.
2007 marked the 15th anniversary of Elmore PR and over the course of our years in business, we recognized we could be most impactful when we identified existing organizational milestones and focused our media relations efforts around them. A milestone can be big or small—anything from a groundbreaking event or annual festival to a staff announcement or in this digital age, a significant social media engagement, such as 50,000 followers on Facebook. Regardless of the significance, the importance lies in that it is already part of an organization’s existing goals.
One of the many pitfalls we’ve witnessed over the years occurs when organizations attempt to manufacture a newsworthy event or story. In doing so, it rarely falls in line with the organization’s business plan, and therefore will not meet the client’s needs and objectives.
Additionally, part of the strategy includes identifying the correct media for each milestone. In order to achieve success for our clients, we review each milestone and recommend an approach—whether it is utilizing owned media, such as an article on a website; a paid placement, such as an ad or boosted post on social media; earned media, such as a news story, or sometimes a combination of two or all of the above. The importance lies not only in what you communicate, but also in how you share those milestones.
These are a few examples of milestones we have used throughout our 25 years to achieve our clients’ goals:
- Royal Visit of HM King Harald V and HM Queen Sonja of Norway in celebration of Norway’s Centennial (Houston Chronicle).
- Fund for Teachers’ Annual Fund Run (KPRC).
- By-line article placement on “Is addiction a choice?” by Dr. Eugene Degner for Partnership for a Drug-Free America (River Oaks/Memorial Examiner)
- Energy for Teachers campaign spearheaded by UBS Investment Group’s Steve Trauber (Houston Business Journal).
- The opening of Buffalo Bayou Partnership’s underground reservoir, the Cistern (Smithsonian Magazine).
- Employees from Silver Eagle Distributors gathered at Buffalo Bayou Park for a tree planning and park clean-up (ABC 13).
- Ronald McDonald House Houston announced the hiring of their new CEO (Houston Business Journal).
- The Name the Park contest tied to the groundbreaking event of the Houston Downtown Park, now Discovery Green (Houston Chronicle).
Speaking of Discovery Green, next week we’ll look to 2008 and a truly memorable event for Elmore PR—the opening of Discovery Green as well as another influential park opening, the Joe and Lee Jamail Skate Park. Don’t miss it!