Senior Communications Specialist, Media Relations
A Senior Communications Specialist consistently exhibits proficiency in one or more areas of specialty, which includes an expertise in the subject area and high-quality execution. For this role, the required expertise is in media relations, including local, regional, and national media relations, pitching, and relationship-building. The senior communications specialist may support several or all account teams by providing strategic media relations guidance, specific expertise, or tactical implementation of media relations efforts.
- Demonstrates consistent proficiency in media relations, specifically strategy and execution, covering the continuum from concepting pitches to list-building to relationship-building to pitching to monitoring coverage and reporting
- Demonstrates proven experience in building and maintaining reporter relationships, particularly with national media
- Implements all assigned client work with initiative and moderate supervision, ensuring quality, timeliness and client satisfaction
- Participates in and contributes meaningfully to the creation of strategic plans with particular input into areas of specialty
- Earns the trust and respect of the client through consistent, quality work which demonstrates expertise and excellence in areas of specialty
- Serves as a resource to other team members on areas of specialty as needed and in team planning sessions
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of and proficiency in media relations which translates across client accounts
- Maintains an understanding of what constitutes news, and knows how to identify relevant stories
- Makes recommendations on media relations strategy, including what to pitch to whom and when
- Plans and drafts press opportunities in the cross-platform editorial calendar
- Researches and manages project-specific or long-term relationships with reporters on behalf of clients, and / or advises colleagues on reporter relations
- Manages the execution of media relations deliverables
- Participates in the management and evaluation of Elmore’s media intelligence documentation and relevant media monitoring tools and software
- Provides coaching to internal colleagues to build professional skills in media relations across the team
- Schedules media interviews, prepares client, attends interviews and tracks coverage
- Negotiates and manages deliverables for media partnerships/sponsorships
- Analyzes and documents client services processes, developing solutions to enhance efficiencies
- Conducts media trainings for clients
- Provides regular reports to CEO, Senior Communications Strategist or Communications Strategist
- Delivers work on time; ensures quality, accuracy and consistency of work
- Provides client account administrative support internally and at client meetings
- Prior agency experience preferred
- Strong writing skills and proficiency in AP style
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrates Elmore’s core values of Listening, Clarity, Curiosity and Supportiveness with colleagues and clients
Salary is dependent upon experience. To apply for this position, email resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Interviews are by appointment only. No telephone calls, please. Finalist candidates will be asked to provide writing samples.
We encourage potential applicants to visit our website to learn more about our company culture, our team, and the clients we serve.