Just like active listening and curiosity, practicing clarity is a tool with which we cut through verbal clutter to understand and be better understood. Seeking and projecting clarity gets us from A to B efficiently. It is fundamental to ensuring we start on the same page as we work with each other and our clients to accomplish their goals.
As communications professionals, we seek and practice clarity daily. Before we can relay a client’s goals, thoughts, and messaging to an audience, we must distill them into clear, understandable points. Through our signature strategic planning sessions and regular client meetings, and by asking the right questions and actively listening, the Elmore PR team is empowered to attain and communicate with clarity on behalf of our clients.
Clarity of thought and speech requires patience, focus and deliberateness. We can all practice clear communication by:
- Eliminating distractions;
- Planning, outlining and being prepared;
- Being succinct;
- Being intentional with word choice and syntax;
- Sharply editing one’s own writing;
- Tailoring messaging and delivery to the recipient’s preferred mode of communication;
- If you are presenting a new idea, practice your presentation;
- Considering and preparing for questions that may arise; and
- Communicating confidently.
These skills can be applied in both our professional and personal lives to reach and deepen understanding. As the saying goes, “when life gets blurry, adjust your focus.” For many of us, the world feels incredibly blurry right now. By seeking clarity, we can adjust our focus to better understand ourselves and one another.